The Summer Palace is located in the western suburbs of Beijing. It is a famous tourism site and a large, well- preserved imperial garden。The Summer Palace consists mainly of Longevity Hill and Kunming Lake, totally covers an area of 2.9 square kilometers, three quarters of which is under water. Its 70,000 square meters of building space comprises gardens and other ancient-style architectural structures. It‘s well known also for its large and priceless collection of cultural relics, it was among the first group of historical and cultural heritage sites in China to be placed under special state protection.
he Summer Palace, originally named “”Qingyi Yuan” or the “”Garden of Clear Ripples”, was first constructed in 1750 and razed to the ground by the Anglo-French Allied Forces in 1860. The government of the Qing Dynasty started to rebuild it in 1886 with the fund appropriated from the Imperial Navy and other sources,then renamed it two years later as “”Yihe Yuan” or “the Garden of Health and Harmony”, it was used to serve as a summer resort for the Empress Dowager Cixi. The Summer Palace was ravaged by the Allied Forces of the Eight Powers that invaded China in 1900. The damage was repaired in 1902. Since the People’s Republic of China was founded, the Summer Palace has undergone several major renovations. The Four Great Regions, Suzhou Street, the Pavilion of Bright Scenery, the Hall of Serenity, the Wenchang Galleries and the Plowing and Weaving Scenery Area have been successively restored.And today,these spots have become several major attractions in the Summer Palace.
Foxiang Pavilion is the highest and central most architecture built on a 20-meter-high stone base, sustained by eight iron pillars up above the Longevity hill, looks grand and splendid, Amitabha was worshipped in the pavilion. On every first and 15th days of te lunar month,the Empress Dowager would burn incense and prayed for prosperity and peace.it has been counted as the central architecture of the Summer Palace.Standing on the Foxiang Pavilion,tourists can have a bird’s-eye view of vast Kunming Lake, overlook the Yuquan Hill and the pagoda in the west . So the Foxiang Pavilion is the perfect place for sightseeing and photography.
The Kunming Lake covers the three quarters of the whole Summer Palace,whose name comes from ”Kuing pool” in Chang’an,named by Emperor Hanwudi,to the west of Kunminglake,there is a causeway named “West Dyke”,along the Dyke ,there are six bridges seperate the lake into two parts,the Jade Belt Bridge is the most beautiful among them.There is a 17-Arch Bridge between the East Dyke and the South Lake Island,it is 150 meters long and 8 meters wide,the longest bridge in the Summer Palace.The South Lake Island is the biggest and beautiful island on the Kunming Lake,there is a big hall with platform in the front of it,it is the place the Emperess Dowager Cixi watched the navy training on the lake.
There is mountain and watet,very cool and comfortable in summer,is worthy of the name of “Summet Palace”.