Yu Garden is located on the northeast of the old town of Shanghai, north to Fuyou Road, east to Anren Street, southwest to ole Chenghuang Temple. It covers 20,000 square meters, is a famous garden of classical style and the national key cultural relics protection unit. Yu Garden was built in Jiajing period of Ming dynasty, beginning in 1559 and completed in 1577, and it has been more than four hundred of history. It was built because that Pan Yunduan, served as a political envoy in Sichuan, built it for please his parents, and gave the name”Yu Garden” meaning”Make their parents live happily”. It was “Strangeness, Beauty and best in the Southeast” is a famous garden that blends the garden art of Ming and Qing Dynasties.
Entering the garden, what we are facing is the Sansui hall. Looking up, the plaque of the “City Mountain and Forest” reflects the environment of Yu Garden: It is surrounded by the bustling city, but the garden is full of the mountain, forest and wild interest. Through Yangshan hall, a big rockery faces each other across the pond. The mountain is about 12 meters high, which is made of 2000 tons of Wukang Yellowstone. It’s circuitous and majestic. The walls of Yu Garden are made up of five dragons that are winding and winding. The leading faucet is exquisite and lifelike, and has the momentum of blowing up clouds. These two dragons’ heads are opposite, and there is a pearl in the middle, which is called “two dragons snatch the Pearl”. The The inner garden of Yu Garden is built in 48 years of Kangxi period of Qing Dynasty (1709 A.D.). The whole area is only 2 mus. However, it has all kinds of stone and pond, hall, pavilion and balcony. The flower wall and small corridor are well arranged, making the small Garden winding and winding, and dense. There is also a new ancient stage in the inner garden. “Dianchun hall” is named after Su Dongpo’s poem “Cuidianchunyan”, a literary giant in the Song Dynasty. Dianchun here is to select the favorite opera and actors, because the opposite is a big stage. In 1853, Dianchung Hall of Yu Garden was used as the headquarters in the north of the city when Shanghai Xiaodao society revolted.
In front of the “Yuhua hall”, there are three stone peaks standing by the water. The middle one is the famous “Yulinglong”, together with the “Ruiyun peak” in Suzhou garden and the “wrinkle cloud peak” in Hangzhou parterre, which is called the three famous stones in Jiangnan garden. It is 3.3 meters high. There are 72 holes in the stone. If it burns a candle from the bottom, the holes on the top emit smoke; if a basin of water is poured from the top, springs flow from the holes of the bottom. It is said that it is a kind of diaspora of Huashigang (the boats transporting the strange flowers, plants and marbles for emperor) in Song Dynasty, which has been established here for more than 400 years. The wall of Yu Garden, on which the winding dragons are decorated, is dividing more than 30 acres of gardens into different scenic spots. It is a great feature of Yu Garden by dividing the landscape into virtual scenes.
Out of the Yu Garden, there is the famous Yu Garden small commodities market in China, blending into one with the garden architecture. Chenghuang Temple, adjacent to Yu Garden, was an ancient Temple. During Guangxu period, there gathered more and more entertainers around it. Besides, there were many teahouses and restaurants nearby. That makes the area extremely lively and full of local features.